Finding Purpose in Tech: My Conversation with Alex Tanaka

 When I first connected with Alex Tanaka, I wasn’t just curious about his job title. I wanted to know how someone could take a technical career in coding, content management, and SEO, and turn it into something that genuinely helps people. Alex is the Manager of Web Development at the Spondylitis Association of America, a nonprofit that supports people living with spondyloarthritis. Talking to him reminded me that technology isn’t only about startups, apps, or corporate IT—it can also be a tool for empathy and impact.

Alex has been working in tech for over 20 years and has worn many hats throughout his career. He has worked as a front-end developer, project leader, and entrepreneur. At one point, he directed the U.S. website for Japan’s video-sharing platform Nico Nico. Eventually, he shifted into the nonprofit world, where his work feels more mission-driven. At SAA, Alex oversees everything related to the organization’s online presence, including content strategy, search engine optimization, user engagement, and accessibility. His job is not just about maintaining a website but ensuring that patients, caregivers, and doctors can easily find the information they need without barriers.

What struck me most was how different nonprofit tech work is compared to corporate. Budgets are tighter and teams are smaller, which means Alex often has to take on several roles at once. He is a developer, designer, strategist, and sometimes even a marketer. He also has to ensure the site is accessible, compliant with privacy laws, and consistent with the organization’s branding. Alex told me that the key is being creative with limited resources. Although the challenge is significant, the reward makes it worthwhile. Every update he makes, whether publishing an article on treatment options or optimizing a page so it appears in search results, has a direct impact on people navigating difficult health conditions.

For Alex, technology is more than just tools or platforms. It is empowerment. Something as simple as improving search engine visibility can help a patient discover vital information more quickly, while a cleaner design can make resources easier to navigate for someone who may be in pain. His perspective made me realize that behind what seems like “just a website” lies real advocacy work.

His career path has not been straightforward, which made his story even more inspiring. Early on, he worked at Office Depot selling computers, where he learned the value of listening to customers. Later, he managed Nico Nico’s U.S. website and saw how important it is to adapt content to different cultures and audiences. As an entrepreneur running a cloud services business, he developed the mindset of a business owner and learned how to deliver complete solutions. Interestingly, Alex did not even study computer science formally. He earned his degree in political science and pursued technology later as a personal passion. For me, this was a reminder that careers do not have to follow a straight line. Skills can connect in unexpected ways, and passions can shape professional paths in surprising directions.

On a daily basis, Alex relies on coding skills such as PHP and HTML, as well as experience in managing content management systems, search engine optimization, and web analytics. He also emphasized the importance of communication skills such as writing, editing, and storytelling. Looking ahead, he believes that emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, cloud security, and personalized content delivery will play an increasingly important role in nonprofit digital work.

Talking with Alex gave me a new perspective on what a computer science career can look like. Too often, we picture tech roles as jobs in big companies, startups, or traditional IT departments. His story showed me that it is possible to build a career that is both technical and mission-driven, where the focus is on making a positive impact on people’s lives. I especially appreciated how his work combines technical precision with empathy. It is not just about designing a functional website but about creating digital spaces that make information accessible and supportive for those who need it most.

This conversation left me inspired to think differently about my own career path. I want to seek out opportunities where I can apply technical skills in nonprofits or mission-driven organizations. I also want to learn more about accessibility standards and inclusive design, because ensuring that everyone can benefit from technology is essential. At the same time, I know I need to stay ahead of trends in areas like AI and cloud security, so I can adapt as the field evolves. Most importantly, I want to remain open to unexpected career turns. Like Alex, I may find that my path takes me in directions I could not have predicted but that ultimately align with my values and goals.

My conversation with Alex Tanaka reminded me that technology, at its best, is about people. It is about creating solutions that matter and helping individuals feel supported and empowered. That is the kind of work I want to pursue in my own future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 Learning Journal

Week 2 Learning Journal (09/08/2025 - 09/13/2025)

Week 3 Learning Journal (09/15/2025 - 09/21/2025)