CST338 - Week 4 Learning Journal - Project 1 review

      This week has been an important milestone for me because it was the first time in this class that I had the chance to work together with a classmate on a single project. I partnered with Sharmaine Joy Rain, and the experience taught me a lot about both collaboration and problem solving in Java.

     From the start, my own strategy for the assignment was to build the framework first. I wanted to understand the structure and logic before jumping into the code, so I created a UML diagram and spent time brainstorming how everything should fit together. I did not begin coding right away because I felt it was more important to have a clear plan on paper.

     Sharmaine approached the project differently. Her method was to look back at Doctor C previous lab and use it as a reference for how this assignment might function. At first our methods seemed opposite one focused on design and planning, and one focused on previous examples. But once we began working side by side, we realized that both approaches had value. My planning gave us a foundation to follow, and her references helped guide us when we were unsure how to implement something. Combining the two methods became our way to move forward.

     The most challenging part of the project was when the program refused to run as expected. We kept testing and adjusting the code, but we could not figure out what was wrong. It was incredibly frustrating and there were moments when it seemed like nothing we tried made a difference. Somehow, after many attempts, the program finally began to work. The funny part is that we still are not completely sure what change fixed it, but seeing the program run successfully was a huge relief.

     While reviewing our code, Sharmaine and I talked about how well it followed the Google Java Style Guide. We agreed that our formatting and consistency still need improvement. We also learned that some of the style rules can be checked automatically, which is something I want to explore for future projects.

     Looking back, what I found most interesting was how our two different strategies supported each other. Working with a partner gave me new insight into problem solving, and it showed me that collaboration can make difficult tasks easier to handle. What I am most proud of is that we did not give up. Even when the project seemed impossible, we kept working through every issue until we reached the end.

     I have not celebrated completing the assignment yet, but after the stress and confusion of debugging, I plan to take a break and relax. Finishing this project taught me a lot, not only about Java but also about teamwork, patience, and the value of mixing different approaches to find the best solution.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 Learning Journal

Week 2 Learning Journal (09/08/2025 - 09/13/2025)

Week 3 Learning Journal (09/15/2025 - 09/21/2025)